no politics...just ridin'

Tumbulgum Via Tomewin

After 6 weeks of no riding I got my first and only decent ride in on Sunday whilst I was home and man, it felt soooo good. Started off at about 8:30 - it was a bit nipply, only about 8 degrees, but clear blue skies. I headed south to Exit 31 on the M1 to meet up with Grizz, Panda, Grasshopper and a few others who were doing a big group ride with The Social Club - I had already decided against riding with them as I wanted some room on the road and be able to stop when and where I felt the need. Once I had said g'day to em all and joined them for the short squirt along the motorway till they left it, I dropped into Steve & Denitta's place a bit further on. Kat ws already there - she drove her car down, as I was going to leave my bike with Steve whilst away. The plan for the day was to head over the border into NSW with him on his Speedmaster, his missus on a Nightster, Dodgey on his America and of course Kat and I on the GSX.

We took off down the M1 and then left it at the Burleigh turn off heading for Currumbin Valley and crossing the border via Tomewin Road. I had not ridden any of this route before and I gotta tell you, it is magic. The climb up and then over the range is fantastic with plenty of switchbacks and not much traffic - the road is also pretty sheltered by the trees on either side making it that bit more special, however we did hit a few wet spots coz of this. Had lots of fun, and Kat enjoyed herself as well - this was the first ride she had done with me in quite a while and it was great to have her share this road with me. We stopped at Murwillumbah for an ale and then set off through the cane fields on the quiet side of the river for Tumbulgum. Some nice long straight bits on this stretch and was able to stretch the beasts legs a little. We crossed the Tweed and turned right into Tumbulgum pulling up at the pub for lunch. We ordered our lunch and then sat out the front of the pub, which is right on the river, and watched as other bikes pulled in as well watching these crazy barefooting bastards skiing up and down the river. Man it was great, and the sunshine made it that much better. Anyway, after a good feed and a couple more ales we decided to head back home the same way, taking a couple of diversions along the way to check out the Currumbin Rock Pool and the Springbrook National Park.

Not having been on the bike for so long, I did notice that I was a little more hesitant than usual - it did feel a bit funny initially, but towards the end of the day I was starting to get into the rythym again. I suppose it was a good thing that I rode with a few bikes instead of the large group the other guys were riding with. I gotta say that I really do miss it so much at the moment. I really don't know how you guys in those places with riding seasons cope through the winter.

Oh well, not too long till I am back home for good and am looking forward to that day big time.


Anonymous cruzzzo said...

good stuff mate.
When ya going back overseas?

10:45 PM  
Blogger Beaker said...

Am back over here now - only spent a week at home this time unfortunately, but at least I got a great ride in!!

11:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home