no politics...just ridin'

Agro Drivers

What is it with Brisbane drivers - why are a lot of them so bloody agro? I was happily making my way into work this morning, a bit later than usual, so the traffic was heavier than what I normally ride in. I made my way to the Wynnum & Manly Rd intersection and filtered through the traffic almost to the front, sitting behind a guy at the front in a blue Falcon. The lights turn green and we roll off - just as the Falcon enters the intersection a 4WD turns into our lane from Belmont Rd. This is when it got interesting.

The guy driving the Falcon sped up and sat right behind the 4WD sitting on his horn and flashing his hazard lights, as if he had been cut off. In my opinion, the 4WD had enough room and time to slot into the traffic without causing any issue, but Mr Agro in the Falcon thought otherwise! He continued to sit right behind him, and may have even nudged him, he was that close. I watched this from about 20 metres behind the Falcon, dropping back to avoid anything that may have happened. As we rounded the slight bend I could see a fully laden truck that was parked out the front of the Tingalpa Hotel delivering steel, so I moved into the middle lane. You could just see that something was going to happen - the 4WD was able to move out of the blocked lane and in front of another vehicle just before the parked truck. But Mr Agro wasn't so lucky. He slammed into the back of the truck doing about 70kmh.

As he hit the truck the back of his car became airborne and swung around, partly blocking my lane. Glass and plastic were spat into my path and for a second I thought I was heading straight into his rear passenger side door. I immediately hit the picks, but in doing so locked it up on a piece of the Falcons plastic. I released my brakes and safely made it around, pulling over in front of the truck. I quickly got off the GSX and ran back to see if he was ok, cause it was an almighty hit. He seemed fine, although very lucky that he wasn't injured. I only stayed on the scene long enough to make sure he was alright, and once I spoke with him I left. I didn't want to hang around because the whole thing was his own fault. Had he just let the 4WD go and stayed calm, it probably wouldn't have happened.

I got to work and am still a little shaken up as I type - another near miss, phew! I could have really made use of a helmetcam this morning.

Labels: , ,


Anonymous Dugie said...

Mate, I think you've nailed it nicely. There seems more and more Brissie drivers driving aggressively, "forgetting" to indicate -- and forgotten how to merge!

10:12 AM  
Anonymous Earp said...

Got write up breaker, as bad as it is to say I wish it would happen to more drivers. When will they learn, count 10 deep breaths and leave 2 seconds behind the vechile in front and you will get to work or home ok, bust this rule and anything can happen and it normaly does. Makes it harder for us bikers.

5:30 PM  
Blogger Giest said...

Damn! Good to hear you made it out of that one. It's amazing to see people let rage get a hold of them so badly that they would risk life and limb for a few feet of asphalt.

9:32 AM  
Blogger Beaker said...

Yeah exactly Giest - a few feet of asphalt aint worth it!

11:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home